DIRECTIONS TO SONNTAG'S AND KESSIE'S SITE


Directions to Sonntag’s and Kessie’s Site in Alaska

Sonntag’s and Kessie’s ashes are scattered feet to the north of the site of the National Geographic photo of Sonnatg and me heading into the tent at night in a snowstorm.  They were scatter there exactly one year from the date of the photo, August 20, 2000. (see photo 1), just north of Galbraith Lake on the Dalton Highway, which is about 352 miles from Fairbanks (see photo 2). Lake Galabieh is about 27 miles from the peak of Antigun Pass.

PHOTO 1  – Photo from NG Article

 

PHOTO 2 = Location of Lake Galbreath

 




Sonntag’s and Kessie’s site is just a few miles up the Dalton Highway from the Galbreath Lake Airport turnoff on the left side at a cutoff.  The latitude coordinates are 6832”59.71’N. An aerial view of the site is shown in photo 3. The red arrow points to where the tent in the NG photo was pitched. The yellow arrow points to the prominence from which I scattered Sonntag’s and Kessie’s ashes and where I hope to have mine scattered someday, too, with Leben’s and Erde’s and maybe Donner’s.

 PHOTO 3 – Arial view of Sonntag’s and Kessie’s site

 

Photo 4 is what the site looks like as you approach it from the south.  Photo 5 shows what it looks like coming into it from the north.  Photo 6 show the tip of the prominence from which I scattered the ashes.

Photo 4


 Photo 5  and 6
 

 
 

HODGE POND, BEECH MOUNTAIN, NY STATE

 

 

I once thought about scattering my and my dogs’ ashes at the site of my old Boy Scout Camp at Beech Mountain on the shore of the lake, which is located not far from Livingston Manor NY, just up the mountain from Mongaup State Park.  Here are directions to that site.

 

PHOTO  7 – The trail from the start of Beech Mountain Drive to Hodge Pond.  Star indicates where I wanted to scatter Sonntag’s and Kessie’s ashes and perhaps mine along the grassy shore of Hodge Pond.  The hike from the parking spot just to the north on Beech Mountain Drive is not long, but it is mostly uphill. A round trip might take four hours. Leben did it 12 weeks after his spinal surgery.

 

PHOTO 8 shows the rough spot on the lake shore where my ashes may be scattered.  There is a wide opening to the right in the trees as you walk up the west side of the Lake not far from the start.  I may want my ashes scattered just by the lake, to the left side of the big rock that is there, off to the side. A nice quiet place to rest for eternity.
 
 
Powered by me.